Puzzle Jumble started as an experiment to test and learn a little bit about XNA and Windows Phone 7. I decided to write some tips to help those who like me started experimenting with XNA and WP7.
The stencil was used to cut the hole for doors so that pieces would appear to be sliding over the doors but under the board. The stencil was active in every frame which lowered the frame rate quite a lot (18-20 FPS). The solution was to activate the stencil only when a piece is going to leave through a door, so be careful when using the stencil buffer on the WP7.
GPUs like the DXT format and the WP7 is no exception, but unlike desktop’s GPUs the WP7 processor only loads DXTs that are power of two. My regret is not using DXT from the beginning when I started working on Puzzle Jumble. When I changed all my textures to DXT I had to change a lot of code, all the draw calls where I was using a position to draw a sprite had to be changed to a rectangle because the textures had a different resolution (power of two).
But the change was very useful:
– I gain some FPS;
– the memory footprint was reduced from 95MB (total peak) to about 45MB;
– the XAP file was reduced from 25MB to 9MB;
– thus, as a consequence reduced the loading times.
When parsing floats it’s easy to add bugs in your application if you ignore the culture format. Make sure to use the correct format provider or at least use the culture independent System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo.InvariantInfo.
Another problem that I found when using floats was that this comparison: if(a < float.Epsilon) (when a = 0) would work everywhere except on the WP7 device itself where it would always return false.
HTML page requests
This is not a WP7 specific problem but I thought it was worth mentioning it. Since Microsoft didn’t provide us with an API for leader boards I implemented an online score system using our servers to keep track of the users’ scores and best times.
The system was working fine to post data online but there was a problem when retrieving it. The first time the data was retrieved everything was fine but the subsequent retrievals would always be the same as if the data was cached somewhere.
After searching for a while I found out that the problem was that the HTTP request was being cached since the URL didn’t change, it would cache the result for that URL. The solution was to add a random attribute to the URL so that the the request couldn’t be cached. Not pretty but it was the only way I found to make it work.
And those were the problems that I found during the Puzzle Jumble’s development phase. I hope this useful for you!